Thousands of people post bail every day, but when celebrities are involved in criminal activity social media is quick to report it, and we are more likely to hear about it. Celebrities do not get faster bail treatment, nor do they get cheaper bail than deserved. Hollywood stars are served bail just as a judge would assign it to any other defendant. While many stars have the ability to pay bail directly, they often choose to hire an agent for a bail bond.
While scandals seem to pop up weekly, here is a recap of some notable celebrity bail issues:
- In 2009 Singer Chris Brown was arrested for assaulting his then-girlfriend, singer Rihanna. His bail was set at $50,000 which he posted. Brown was given five years of probation–which he violated–resulting in his probation being revoked and a judge ordering him back to jail for a month.
- In 2014 Olympian Oscar Pistorious was arrested for killing his girlfriend; bail was set at $1 million (the highest ever set in his native South Africa).
- NFL player Aaron Hernandez was arrested for murder in 2012; he was denied bail.
- In 2014, Justin Bieber was arrested for drag racing and driving under the influence of alcohol with an expired license. His bail was set at $2,500.
- Lindsay Lohan has been to jail a number of times since 2007 for DUIs, reckless driving, theft, falsifying information, and assault. Her bail was set at $300,000 and she paid $75,000 with the help of a bail agent.
- OJ Simpson has denied bail when he was arrested for the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman in 1994. When he was arrested again in 2007 for robbery and kidnapping, his bail was set at $250,000.
Regardless of your celebrity status, when you are arrested consult a bail agent for help. As always don’t hesitate to contact AAA Bail Bonds. Our bail agents are available 24 hours a day and can bail you out of jail any time, day or night.